Christmas Island Birding
The Wildiaries Experience | HOME
Docile Lemon Sharks, stingrays and guitarfish cruise by. Black Noddies chatter overhead and turtles nest here, one of the best turtle-watching places in the world.
￼￼When you land at Heron, you will be amazed. This is absolutely what the Great Barrier Reef is about. While you go about your day, the permanent residents do too, and all about you is alive. There is no better way to enjoy it than with a self-proclaimed sea-turtle fanatic and all-round nice guy. Our guide Tim used to manage the research station. Whether alone or with kids, the experience you can have, what you learn, the passion you can share with someone so connected, will make all the difference to your trip.
- Private, guiding with Tim Harvey, Sea Turtle Foundation (STF) founder
- Support the work of the Sea Turtle Foundation
- Watch turtles nesting at night (Nov-Mar) or turtle young hatching (Jan-Jun). At all other times of year, turtles are abundant in the waters around the island.
- Snorkel and swim in some of Jacque Cousteau’s favourite haunts
Day 1 Arriving in Gladstone you’ll be met by bus and taken to the ferry terminal for your trip to Heron Island departing at 2pm. Here you’ll be met by Sea Turtle Foundation Director Tim Harvey. As you pull up at the wharf on Heron, you’ll be immediately struck by how small the island is and the bounty of life in the water around the boat.
Day 2-3 Your private guide Tim Harvey, will show you around the island, sharing his knowledge and enthusiasm for its wildlife (he lived here for several years). You’ll be introduced to the wildlife and people for whom this unique haven for seabirds and turtles is their home. You’ll get the chance to snorkel on a reef that even Jacque Cousteau has described as one of his favourite places in the world. Tim will take you at night to watch turtles nesting and under his guidance, you’ll be able to get up close and watch without risk of disturbance.
Day 4 Departure is at 10am. Chance for an early morning snorkel or walk before breakfast.
- 3 nights accommodation
- Return boat transfers between Gladstone airport and Heron Island.
- Private guiding.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner for 3 days.
- 1 boat trip for snorkelling.
From $1967.00 * AUD
Per person, twin share, privately guided in a standard turtle room.
From $1,967 per person twin share (minimum 6 people)
From $2,296 per person twin share (minimum 4 people)
From $3,230 per person twin share (minimum 2 people)
- Environmental Management Charge (Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service) of $16 per day, payable on departure.
Our licensed travel agent can arrange all travel to and from tour locations. We can also arrange fully-guided options as well as tailoring packages for families and groups travelling together.